The Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians (AEMV) was established in 2000 by veterinarians interested in advancing the veterinary care of ferrets, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, and other exotic companion mammals. Professional associations existed to assist veterinarians interested in avian, reptile/amphibian, zoo animal, and laboratory animal medicine, but none existed for veterinarians wishing to offer the best medical and surgical care for owners of exotic companion mammals outside traditional dog and cats.
AEMV's official publication is the Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine (JEPM) which is published quarterly. In addition to original articles and research, the journal includes abstracts from the literature of articles not commonly available to the private practitioner. A great deal of information beneficial to exotic mammal practitioners in published in laboratory animal or research-oriented journals.
AEMV provides an annual conference often in conjunction with the other organizations dealing with non-traditional pets and zoo animals. Intermediate and advanced levels of learning are available. Offerings may include a wet lab, advanced scientific program, roundtable discussions, and Master Classes. AEMV members receive early notification of the conference as well as discounted registration.
One of our long term goals was the creation of the Exotic Companion Mammal specialty board through ABVP. Details regarding this project are available at the Exotic Companion Mammal Specialty page of our website.
- President: Byron de la Navarre, DVM
- President Elect: Charly Pignon, DVM, Dip ECZM (Small Mammals)
- Vice President: Nicola Di Girolamo, DMV, MSc (EBHC), GPCert(ExAP), PhD, Dipl. ECZM (Herp)
- Secretary: Laurel Harris, DVM
- Treasurer: Melissa Kling, DVM
- Immediate Past-President: Micah Kohles, DVM, MPA
- Member at Large: Elizabeth Mackey, DVM
- Member at Large: Teresa Bousquet, DVM
- Member at Large: Ariana Finkelstein, DVM
- Executive Director: Stephanie Vonnahme
- Finance Committee: Melissa Kling, DVM
- Nominating Committee: Micah Kohles, DVM, MPA
- Conference Committee: Micah Kohles, DVM, MPA and Melissa Kling, DVM
- Marketing Committee: Christoph Mans, Dr. med. vet., Dipl. ACZM, and Lauren Thielen, DVM
- Membership Outreach: Robert Ness, DVM and Ariana Finkelstein, DVM
- Research Committee: Jeffrey Rhody, DVM, DABVP (Exotic Companion Mammal)
- JEPM: Angela Lennox, DVM, DABVP (Avian), DABVP (Exotic Companion Mammal), AEMV editor
- Auction: Laurel Harris, DVM