Cascade Hospital for Animals – Open Job Posting LVT Avian/Exotics
Licensed Veterinary Technician – Avian and Exotics
June 3, 2019
Number of openings: 1
Hours: 30-40 per week
Reports to: Nursing Care Supervisor
Location: CHFA now and BVAC when we open new facility, Grand Rapids, MI
Licensing required: Licensed Veterinary Technician
Experience required: Six months as an LVT or equivalent experience
What to do if interested:
Any employee interested must contact Theresa Hertel via email (email@example.com)with a statement of interest by the end of closing date listed on this posting to be considered. All interested employees will be considered for interviews and/or Job Shadowing of the position based on employee work performance, attendance record, education and experience. For each opening, internal and external candidates may be considered.
- Performs all duties in accordance with hospital medical policies and procedures.
- This position will have a focus on avian, reptile and exotic mammal patients (rabbits, guinea pigs, ferrets, chinchillas, rodents, fish).
- This position would involve working with a board-certified veterinarian specialist for Avian and Exotic Mammals (Diplomate American Board of Veterinary Practitioners).
- Must be willing and able to learn how to restrain avian, reptile and exotic mammal patients in addition to dogs and cats.
- Good client communication skills are a must. Knowledge of basic appropriate husbandry of common exotic species seen would be expected to be discussed with clients.
- Assists the doctor in medical, surgical and dental procedures; prepares patients for surgery; administers anesthetics; monitors patients during surgery and recovery; administers fluids.
- Assists with dental procedures on patients as instructed by doctor including cleaning & polishing, charting, and radiographs.
- Calculates anesthetic doses and administer anesthetics.
- Places IV catheters as instructed by the doctor.
- Cleans and maintains surgical, dental and anesthetic equipment.
- Completes surgical, dental and intensive care patient SOAP notes; enters and verifies charges in the computer.
- Assists doctors in ultrasound and endoscopy procedures.
- Gives injections and administers oral medications in accordance with government regulations and hospital policy.
- Performs emergency procedures such as control of bleeding, resuscitation with oxygen, and external cardiac massage.
- Performs clinical laboratory procedures such as fecal gram stains, skin scrapings, urinalysis, and fungal cultures; draws blood for laboratory analysis; ensures that test results are recorded in patient file.
- Takes radiographs and performs ECGs.
- Completes patient SOAP notes; enters and verifies invoice charges in the computer.
- Admits and discharges patients on the doctor’s orders. Counsels clients on various aspects of animal care; explain dosage/purpose of medications; reinforces the proper care and procedures that should be followed at home; makes follow-up calls to clients and properly documents client communications in the patient file.
- Properly fills patient prescriptions as instructed by the doctor.
- Understands usage and dosage for all prescription drugs including heartworm preventative and prescription flea control products and can readily explain them to clients.
- Properly cleans all surgical materials after they are used; keeps the surgery room stocked and prepared for surgery.
- Properly cleans all dental materials after they are used; keeps the dental area stocked and prepared for dental procedures.
- Maintains an appropriate inventory of all drugs and medical supplies.
- Prepares and maintains the exam rooms and treatment areas.
- Assists other staff members as required.
- Performs other duties as determined by the doctors or management
Associates degree or equivalent
Veterinary technician licensure
Genuinely enjoys working with all types of animals and is able to care for them even when they are ill or in pain.
Can stay calm and efficient during a medical crisis
Able to work effectively with the veterinarian specialist.
Works well with all hospital staff members.
Excellent client communication skills
Can lift and carry animals weighing up to 40lbs.
Can walk, bend or stand for extended periods of time.
Excellent computer skills
Able to handle multiple tasks at one time
Able to understand and carry out oral and written directions.
Available to communicate via Email
Attends monthly department meetings
Open availability (able to work 2 weekends per month).
Attendance/promptness – adhere to attendance requirements outlined in the employee manual.
Neat and orderly appearance