Welcome to the Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians (AEMV). We are an association of veterinary professionals dedicated to advancing the care of ferrets, guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters, rats, mice, chinchillas, hedgehogs, and other exotic companion mammals.
The Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians (AEMV) was established in 2000. Professional associations existed for veterinarians interested in avian, reptile/amphibian, zoo animal, wildlife, and laboratory animal medicine, however none existed for veterinarians wishing to offer the best medical and surgical care for owners of exotic companion mammals.
Since our founding, AEMV has grown to become an international association with more than 600 members, publishing its own scientific journal, the Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine (JEPM), and hosting an annual continuing education conference with fellow exotic species professional associations.
The committed and accomplished veterinarians and technicians on the AEMV Board of Directors are the driving force behind the success of the AEMV’s efforts. Members of the Board, in conjunction with AEMV’s Committee Chairs, provide both national and international perspectives on the impact of care and treatment among exotic companion mammals in the veterinary clinic setting. See below to learn more about our Board of Directors and Committees.
Board of Directors
- President: Nicola Di Girolamo, DMV, MSc (EBHC), GPCert (ExAP), PhD, Dipl. ECZM (Herp)
- President-Elect: David Hannon, DVM, Dipl. ABVP (Avian)
- Vice President: Marty Chu, DVM
- Secretary: Laurel Harris, DVM
- Treasurer: Melissa Kling, DVM
- Immediate Past-President: Charly Pignon, DVM, Dipl. ECZM (Small Mammals)
- Member-At-Large: Teresa Bousquet, DVM
- Member-At-Large: Jennifer Graham, DVM, Dipl. ABVP (Avian & Exotic Companion Mammal), Dipl. ACZM (Zoo Animal Medicine)
- Executive Director: Mandy Taylor, MBA, APR
Committees & Chairs
- Conference Committee: Charly Pignon, DVM, Dipl. ECZM (Small Mammals)
- Conference Committee Co-Chair: Melissa Kling, DVM
- Auction Committee: Laurel Harris, DVM
- Hands-on Workshops Committee: Joao Brandao, DVM
- Scientific Program Committee: Nicole Di Girolamo, DMV, MSc (EBHC), GPCert (ExAP), PhD, Dipl. ECZM (Herp)
- Finance Committee: Melissa Kling, DVM
- International Committee: Teresa Bousquet, DVM
- Marketing Committee: Elizabeth Myers, DVM
- Membership Outreach Committee: Jennifer Graham, DVM, Dipl. ABVP (Avian & Exotic Companion), Dipl. ACZM
- Nominating Committee: Charly Pignon, DVM, Dipl. ECZM (Small Mammals)
- Research Committee: Jeffrey Rhody, DVM, Dipl. ABVP (Exotic Companion Mammal)