Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Minnesota (WRC) is a non-profit organization founded in 1979 and located in the Twin Cities. WRC is one of the largest wildlife rehabilitation centers in the country, admitting nearly 20,000 wild animals from among 200 species a year. As an emergency veterinary hospital, WRC provides a fast- paced, collegial work environment where people perform a variety of tasks in dynamic and changing circumstances.
OPEN POSITION – CERTIFIED VETERINARY TECHNICIAN
Certified Veterinary Technicians (CVTs) assist in the treatment and rehabilitation of injured, orphaned or sick wild animals. They perform a variety of veterinary medical care and support services; provide necessary guidance to volunteers and interns; properly manage and adhere to all WRC medical, safety and training procedures; and maintain high quality standards in medical care, facility maintenance and record keeping.
The position is part of our medical team of four full-time veterinarians, three certified veterinary technicians, and three veterinary technician assistants in a fully equipped veterinary hospital including: digital radiology, ultrasound, in-house laboratory (including teaching microscope), a surgical suite, XRF lead detection, and critical care capabilities.
WRC is open seven days a week, 365 days a year, has a full-time staff of 26, and relies greatly on the efforts of more than 600 volunteers.
Details & Requirements:
– Must be able to obtain a veterinary technician certification in the state of MN within 3 months of starting employment.
– Rabies pre-exposure vaccine series and titer are required before starting
– be capable of lifting 30 lbs from the floor
– be able to be on their feet for 10 hours at a time
– be able to work on the floor
– be able to work in varying weather conditions
– maintain the wild nature of patients by following WRC policies and procedures
– treat everyone with respect
– CVTs will work an average of 35 hours per week for the year.
– Hours will be less during the winter and more during summer peak season
– Supervisor will create schedule and adjust as needed
– CVTs must coordinate amongst their co-CVTs for coverage to ensure there is 1-3 vet techs at the Roseville location at all times, depending on the workload
– Some evenings, weekends, and holidays are required
– Prepare and administer medications/treatments to all adult patients and any complicated nursery patients
– Set up patient caging, adjust husbandry, and prepare patient diets
– Perform diagnostics such as radiographs, manual CBCs, operate bloodwork machines, cytology, parasitology, culture/sensitivity, gram stain, urinalysis, etc.
– Prep for surgeries and monitor anesthesia for patients undergoing diagnostics or procedures
– Maintain proper record keeping
– Respond appropriately and promptly to emergency protocols
– Assist in training volunteers and students, attend regular staff meetings and other meetings as requested
– Maintain a clean, organized treatment area and ensure an adequate level of hospital and laboratory supplies
– Follow and enforce all WRC policies and protocols
– Continually learn about our diverse patient population and be able to adapt procedures and protocols to support both population-based and individualized medicine in a high volume setting
– Starting hourly wage of $18, commensurate with experience
– Health insurance coverage including a dental plan (employee premium paid by employer)
– Participation in a retirement 403b plan (3% employer contribution)
– PTO and vacation days based on hours worked and years of service
– Ability to project a positive attitude toward co-workers, supervisor, volunteers and the public.
– Ability to act decisively while remaining calm and compassionate in sometimes stressful situations.
– Ability to work well with other people and as a member of a team.
– Ability to prioritize tasks and complete them in an efficient manner.
– Knowledge of proper restraint/handling of animals as well as ability to perform various diagnostics.
– Experienced as a certified vet tech. Experience with wildlife preferred but not required.
– Willingness to work a flexible schedule.
Send cover letter, resume and list of 3 references with contact information to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org